Living in Grenoble - some practical information to consider when moving to this city.
Health insurance in France is compulsory. Whatever your nationality, you have to register at the Student Social Security Coverage Scheme which is a special scheme under the General French Social Security System (Sécu). For your administrative registration, you must have registered at the French Social Security System for students (minimum cost = around 195€).
Except in the following cases:
Students with European nationality will have to present their European Health Insurance Card (EHIC). Check the validity date of your card: it should cover the whole academic year. Reimbursement claims are to be addressed to the Service International de la Caisse Primaire d'Assurance Maladie (CPAM).
Students from Quebec have to present their RAMQ form (n° SE 401Q106).
Students from outside Europe, under 28, with a study period exceeding 3 months: in order to avoid unnecessary expenses do not subscribe to private insurance in your country of origin because the French student insurance is compulsory. Check that you still have insurance for the trip.
Students who come to France for an exchange of less than three months and students who are over 28 years old cannot take out the French Social Security; they will have to take out insurance in their country of origin or a private insurance in France.
The French Social Security for students has two main agencies:
Please note that registration at the French Social Security System only takes place during the administrative registration, with the coordinator of the university that is welcoming you. Both agencies offer similar services. Once you have registered with one or the other, you will receive a certificate proving that you are insured. Keep this certificate in a safe place! It will be required if you go to hospital.
NB: the French Social Security will cover about 75% of your medical fees but no medical evacuation. If you wish to take out a further insurance to reimburse the rest of your medical expenses (about 25%) it is possible either in your country of origin or in France.
In some specific cases (+28 year-old students) it is possible to benefit from the social coverage CMU (Couverture Maladie Universelle). Please, contact the Health Centre of Grenoble University for more information. There is a health centre on the campus. You must have your student card to be able to make an appointment with a doctor for free. The services on offer also include sports medicine, dietary, gynecology and psychology consultations.
"Centre de Santé" on the campus:
180, rue de la Piscine, Tram B get off at Taillées, Tram C get off atHector Berlioz - Tél. 04 76 82 40 70
"Centre de Santé" in town:
5, rue d'Arsonval, Tram A et B get off at Gares - Tél. 04 76 57 50 90
In case of health problems associated with a problem of precariousness, students may contact the Medical Social Worker at Grenoble University:
Most students' finances come from different sources: personal savings, parental help, state grants, a loan or a paid job.
Your student status will entitle you to reductions on transport and leisure activities. However, be careful to plan your budget in as much detail as possible for your stay in France. The first couple of months might be more expensive because you will have extra costs for settling in. In France, the currency is the Euro, which is practical if you come from another European country which uses this currency as you will not need to change money.
Payment in France is often made with:
bank cards for purchases in shops
cheques or automatic bank transfers for rent, water, gas and electricity
cash for small daily expenses
All prices on receipts and bills include tax and service.