Living in Grenoble,
Health insurance in France is compulsory. Whatever your nationality, you have to register at the Student Social Security Coverage Scheme which is a special scheme under the General French Social Security System (Sécu).
For your administrative registration, you must have registered at the French Social Security System for students (minimum cost = around 195€).
Except in the following cases:
- Students with European nationality will have to present their European Health Insurance Card (EHIC). Check the validity date of your card: it should cover the whole academic year. Reimbursement claims are to be addressed to the Service International de la Caisse Primaire d'Assurance Maladie (CPAM).
- Students from Quebec have to present their RAMQ form (n° SE 401Q106).
- Students from outside Europe, under 28, with a study period exceeding 3 months: in order to avoid unnecessary expenses do not subscribe to private insurance in your country of origin because the French student insurance is compulsory. Check that you still have insurance for the trip.
- Students who come to France for an exchange of less than three months and students who are over 28 years old cannot take out the French Social Security; they will have to take out insurance in their country of origin or a private insurance in France.
The French Social Security for students has two main agencies:
Please note that registration at the French Social Security System only takes place during the administrative registration, with the coordinator of the university that is welcoming you.
Both agencies offer similar services. Once you have registered with one or the other, you will receive a certificate proving that you are insured. Keep this certificate in a safe place! It will be required if you go to hospital.
In some specific cases (+28 year-old students) it is possible to benefit from the social coverage CMU (Couverture Maladie Universelle). Please, contact the Health Centre of Grenoble University for more information.
There is a health centre on the campus. You must have your student card to be able to make an appointment with a doctor for free. The services on offer also include sports medicine, dietary, gynecology and psychology consultations.
180, rue de la Piscine, Tram B get off at Taillées, Tram C get off at Hector Berlioz - Tél. 04 76 82 40 70
"Centre de Santé" in town:
5, rue d'Arsonval, Tram A et B get off at Gares - Tél. 04 76 57 50 90
In case of health problems associated with a problem of precariousness, students may contact the Medical Social Worker at Grenoble University:
8:00 am to 5:00 pm / 9:00 am to 5:00 pm on Tuesdays
Tel. 04 76 82 40 70
Your student status will entitle you to reductions on transport and leisure activities. However, be careful to plan your budget in as much detail as possible for your stay in France. The first couple of months might be more expensive because you will have extra costs for settling in.
In France, the currency is the Euro, which is practical if you come from another European country which uses this currency as you will not need to change money.
Payment in France is often made with:
- bank cards for purchases in shops
- cheques or automatic bank transfers for rent, water, gas and electricity
- cash for small daily expenses
For more precise detials on loving costs please visit the University of Grenoble's website
- Fire service: 18
- Police: 17
- Medical emergency/Ambulance (SAMU):15
- Emergency (call from a mobile): 12
Other useful numbers
- Police station: 04 76 60 40 40
- Gendarmerie: 04 76 20 37 00
- Mountain rescue service: 04 76 22 22 22
- After-hours pharmacy: 04 76 63 42 55
- Grenoble hospital (CHU): 04 76 76 75 75SOS
- Médecins: 04 38 701 701
- Youth health line: 0 800 23 52 36
- Drugs, alcohol, tobacco hotline: 113
- Aids hotline: 0 800 840 800
- Stolen credit card: 02 54 42 12 12
Other Universities in Grenoble
- Université Grenoble Alpes
- Université Joseph Fourier (Science, Technology, Medicine)
- Université Pierre Mendès France (Human and Social Sciences)
- Université Stendhal (Languages, Literature, Linguistics, Communication)
- Institut d'Etudes Politiques de Grenoble
Other Higher Education Establishments
- École Supérieure d'Architecture de Grenoble
- École Supérieure d'Art
- Institut Universitaire de Formation des Maîtres
- Grenoble Ecole de Management
Another useful link: Ministère de l'Education Nationale