It takes place during the second year, in February and March (S4). During this 8-week period, 13 days are spent in a company (in the Rhône Alpes Region) for the Field Study and the rest of the time is spent at school. A specific project is given to a group of three engineering students; they are supervised by an Engineering professor and a Social & Human Science professor as well as a tutor from the company.
- become familiarised with the Engineering Curriculum at Grenoble INP - Génie industriel'
- provide a mission each week for the students to work on
- a solution to the problem at hand must be provided at the end of the mission
- apply Industrial Engineering knowledge and skills in a real-life situation
- successfully adapt to a professional situation
- organise and manage working in small groups
For the school:
- supervise and evaluate a group of engineering students in a professional situation
- be aware of current issues in industry and take into account changes and development when updating training programmes
- use some of the Industrial Field Studies as examples for study cases