- Degree awarded Master
Industry is of critical importance for the modern societies. Industrial engineering, as a branch of engineering, focuses on designing efficient production systems. It is affected by the deep transformations and instabilities the human societies are facing today.
Through this program we aim to provide students with tools to contribute to a more sustainable industry with a strong emphasis on handling of complexity of human centric organizations.
Sustainable Industrial Engineering addresses the issue of industrial sustainability using different points of view. The overarching presence of data requires new skills to handle them. Complexity of socio-technical environment is also a big challenge that requires to understand the multi-dimensional character of the industrial organizations in order to solve the problems raised by the industrial transformation.
Sustainable Industrial Engineering has myriads of application fields since it encompasses the whole value chain and lifecycle of products: from the development of new and innovative products and services, to the end of life of the systems.
The SIE Master also welcomes students from all over the world and includes some excellence programs that propose scholarships for high potential students willing to engage in a research-oriented path leading to a PhD.
The application has to be done on the corresponding websites:
- Graduate School - FuturProd
- EIT Manufacturing Master School Program
- SUMA EUropean Master Program (SUMA: SUstainable MAterials)
In second year, you have the choice between 2 majors. One of them is: Sustainable Operations Management
Industry today is facing major challenges driven by the high environmental impact of the human activities. Among the major challenges, industry must reduce its impact on the environment and adopt a low carbon footprint trail. The Sustainable Industrial Management Major investigates the key domains that will give the students tools to deal with these challenges and provides a systemic and interdisciplinary understanding of the situation.
Major topics are sustainable supply chain management, data analytics, operational excellence, socio-economic aspects of sustainability for industry 4.0. There is a significant amount of research to be carried out still and this major offers the opportunity to follow a research-oriented path that opens up to a doctoral program. The Industrial path allows to directly claim for a job in industry. Our lectures are at the cutting edge of knowledge and involve teachers from our affiliated research laboratories, such as G-SCOP for industrial engineering (both supply chain and product development), CERAG for management sciences, PACT for sociology and GAEL for industrial economics.
In the second semester of the 2nd year of the Master SIE, each student will be expected to complete an internship either in an industrial firm, in France or abroad. This internship will be an opportunity to consolidate and discover working methods and to learn how to manage real projects. A written dissertation will be required at the end of the training period and it will have to be defended before an examinations board.
- Project engineer
- Development or research engineer
- Business or consulting specialized in environmental issues
- Production and supply chain manager
- Consultant in Sustainable industrial engineering
School environmentMost courses will be provided at Génie Industriel, the Industrial Engineering school of the Grenoble INP group. The school is centrally located in downtown Grenoble. It benefits of a very international environment among the student and of a very modern and high level set of technological platforms.
Student life in Grenoble is very rich and dynamic. Students have the opportunity to engage in external activities such as sports (leading region for mountain sports), arts, non-profit organizations, international relations, or other activities.
- Who should apply? Bac + 4, Bac + 5
- Tuition fees From outside the EU: 5000 €/ year + 100 € CVEC
European students: 1473 €/year + 100 € CVEC
Who can apply?
Students wishing to apply to the SIE Master program must hold a MSc in Industrial Engineering or equivalent and B2 minimum level of French
- MSc in Industrial Engineering
- Excellent academic results
- English proficiency
- French proficiency
Online application by "FSA"The "FSA" application platform will be open from October 25, 2023 until April 09, 2024
VisaAll foreign students must obtain a visa.
If you are a foreign student from one of these countries : you must apply by "FSA" and "Etudes en France" :Afrique du Sud, Azerbaïdjan, Algérie, Arabie Saoudite, Argentine, Bahreïn, Bénin, Bolivie, Brésil, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cambodge, Cameroun, Canada, Chili, Chine, Colombie, Comores, Congo, Corée du Sud, Côte d'Ivoire, Djibouti, Émirats arabes unis, Égypte, Equateur, États-Unis, Ethiopie, Gabon, Géorgie, Ghana, Guinée, Haïti, Inde, Indonésie, Iran, Israël, Japon, Jordanie, Kenya, Koweït, Laos, Liban, Madagascar, Malaisie, Mali, Maroc, Maurice, Mauritanie, Mexique, Népal, Niger, Nigeria, Pérou, Qatar, République démocratique du Congo, République dominicaine, Royaume-Uni, Russie, Sénégal, Singapour, Taïwan, Tchad, Thaïlande, Togo, Tunisie, Turquie, Ukraine, Vietnam.
Steps to apply
All the applications will be studied in our Commission of Accreditation of Academic Acquisitions (CVAA).
Applications will be examined by commissions on the following dates:
- 06/02/2024 (Application deadline - 30/01/2024)
- 12/03/2024 (Application deadline - 05/03/2024)
- 16/04/2024 (Application deadline - 09/04/2024)
If your application is accepted, you will be contacted for an interview (usually by videoconference). The interview will be conducted in English.
Registration Fees 2024/2025
- Students from outside the EU: 5000 €/ year (National fees 3770 € + Specific fees 1230 €) + 100 € "Student and campus life contribution" (CVEC)
- European students: 1473 €/year (National fees 243 € + Specific fees 1230 €) + 100 € "Student and campus life contribution" (CVEC)
The institution applies the rules incurring the payment of differentiated fees by non-E.U students.
The full amount of the owed registration fees is not necessarily to be paid at the start of the academic year: an instalment plan of payment may be scheduled.
In addition, the admitted students will receive information about the various scholarships available to Grenoble INP-UGA students.
To obtain information on the scholarships, please click on the following link. Very few scholarships are awarded each year and they are awarded on merit. We will study your results and, if your level allows it, we will direct your file towards the most suitable scholarship.
As the courses are taught in English, a minimum level of English B2 is required to enter the Master's program (+ minimum level of French required B2 for a 2nd year application). You will need to provide an official certificate (IELSTS, BULATS, TOEFL...) or a certificate from your university.
Info Academic Year
Courses run from September to July.
A 6-month-Internship is required during the 2nd Year, from February to July.
Annabel Jourdan, Maryline Mazzon Teppoz
- Internships Internships mandatory
Year 1 (60 ECTS)
- Introductory courses in industrial engineering, economics, data management and sustainability
- Team projects, intercultural communication
Year 2 (60 ECTS)
- Advanced courses (core curriculum and elective courses) according to the chosen specialization (SOM or SPD, Industry or Research)
- 6-month internship (company, research laboratory)
- Industry oriented: Master thesis tutorial and communication.
- You should select 2 to 3 courses in your major;
- You should select 1 to 2 courses in the transverse offer.
Programme courses semester 9
Detailed Program of Major Sustainable Operation Management (SOM):
Programme courses semester 10
- Internship abroad No
Expected learning outcomes
MSc SIE helps tomorrow’s industrial engineers to work collaboratively in a globalized international context, with societal constraints as well as environmental and economical impacts.
The SIE Master programme leans on the knowledge triangle Education-Research-Innovation.
It is designed to cover the whole value chain and lifecycle of product and service, from Innovation draft, through to Distribution, in an international context. (See figure 1)It aims at tackling the key issues that are sustainable manufacturing industry, innovation, and sustainability.
SIE targets 2 main profiles:
- Industrial engineers with sustainable impact: the students will be able to find jobs in Industrial/ Mechanical/ Production/ Automation/ Aerospace/ Energy/ or Management Engineering
- Researchers in industry: the students will have plenty of opportunities to carry on their studies as PhD among one of the numerous international laboratories of the SIE partners (full members or associates) and the research community in the sustainable manufacturing domain.
Deputy Head of Sustainable Industrial Engineering Master's degree
Maria Di Mascolo
Annabel Jourdan, Maryline Mazzon Teppoz